FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 3, 2013
For more information:
VANCOUVER USA REGIONAL TOURISM OFFICE NOW ACCEPTING NOMINATIONS FOR 2013 TOURISM AWARDS
Nominate and help others discover the original offerings of Vancouver USA
VANCOUVER, Wash. - The Vancouver USA Regional Tourism Office is now accepting nominations for the seventh annual Clark County Tourism Awards. The awards recognize key individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions to tourism and economic growth in the region.
"There are many unsung heroes that have contributed greatly to tourism in Clark County," said Kim Bennett, president & CEO of Vancouver USA Regional Tourism Office. "The Tourism Awards recognize these organizations and individuals that have gone above and beyond by displaying ingenuity, innovation, and leadership when attracting tourists and visitors to Southwest Washington."
To nominate a person, event or business, go to the Tourism Office's award-winning website www.VisitVancouverUSA.com, which serves as a community resource for visitors, meeting planners and area residents. The three award categories open for nominations until Oct. 2 are:
- Tourism Ambassador Award - From a server at a local restaurant to a front desk representative or a tour guide, tourism ambassadors can be just about anyone who works directly with visitors to our region. This award recognizes the achievements and outstanding contributions of an individual who continually strives to enhance the experience of visitors.
- Outstanding Tourism Professional - This award honors an individual who has gone the extra mile to promote the tourism industry in Clark County. Nominees should have a history of ingenuity, innovation, and leadership when it comes to promoting Vancouver USA and Clark County as an ideal tourist destination.
- Spirit of Tourism Award - This award recognizes an attraction, venue, event or business that has contributed to the economic vitality of the region by attracting tourists and other visitors. The award winner will have a proven track record of attracting visitors to Vancouver USA and Clark County.
The awards not only serve to recognize the outstanding work of individuals and organizations in the area, but also promote further awareness of tourism as a vital part of Clark County's economy and as a leading generator of employment. In 2012:
- Visitor spending in Clark County exceeded $446 million
- Visitor spending generated more than $29 million in local and state taxes
- Tourism supported more than 4000 Clark County jobs with more than $111 million in earnings
The Clark County Tourism Awards are a grassroots platform aimed at recognizing those who excel at bringing business into the community. After reviewing the nominations, three winners will be selected by the Tourism Office and announced Nov. 6.
Local Chambers of Commerce will again co-sponsor the awards this year and solicit nominations from their members. Sponsoring organizations include the Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce, the Battle Ground Chamber of Commerce and the Camas Washougal Chamber of Commerce. The City of Vancouver, Clark County Board of Commissioners and the Clark County Lodging Association are also supporting the awards.
Videos featuring interviews with award winners from previous years can be found on the Tourism Office's YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/VisitVancouverUSA.
About Vancouver USA Regional Tourism Office
The Vancouver USA Regional Tourism Office is an economic development organization responsible for competitively marketing Vancouver and the surrounding area as a destination for meetings, conventions, and group and leisure travelers. The organization also markets the area as a venue for sports events through its Vancouver USA Regional Sports Commission. The Regional Tourism Office's mission is to increase visitor spending in Vancouver and Clark County. For more information call 360-750-1553, or visit www.VisitVancouverUSA.com.
# # #