Captain William Clark Park at Cottonwood Beach

  • S. Index Street at S. 32nd Street
  • , Washougal, WA 98671

On March 31, 1806, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark established a camp at Cottonwood Beach while they secured provisions for the return trip through the Columbia River Gorge and points east. They remained at Cottonwood Beach for six days, which is the longest period of time the Corps of Discovery camped at any site in Clark County.
Almost 200 years later, a multi-jurisdictional effort celebrated the Lewis and Clark Bicentennial in 2006 by opening Captain William Clark Park at Cottonwood Beach. Now, in addition to the existing water access at Cottonwood Beach, the park also features multi-use trails, restrooms, historic interpretive elements, picnic shelters and parking lots.